The day the convection microwave has come in the market, since then it has become an essential part of the modern household. They are mainly used for baking and can also be used for making pasta, heating, boiling liquids and so on. But before buying one for the house, there are many factors you need to consider so that it fits your daily needs.
What to look for
• Visibility: If your convection microwave has a brighter interior light with a large transparent viewing window, what else do you want? It allows you to check your food as it cooks.
• Ease of use: If possible buy one that has easy-to-use controls and good instructions on the display. The best ovens won’t require you to open your instruction manuals.
• Cleaning: Before you buy your kind of model, first check that there are not too many holes and gaps inside the oven, also no seams or crevices on the outside that can trap food and grease perhaps. It becomes difficult to clean around exposed grill elements, instead of this some models come with a grill element built into the roof. Stainless steel exteriors may look good but they need little extra care. Look for some smooth and easy to clean coatings, in fact, many manufacturers have brought catalytic liners but they have limited coverage.
• Size: Buy a microwave in which your dishes can fit very well. There should be proper clearance around the outside of ventilation- at least 5cm at the sides, 10cm at the rear and 15-40cm on the top.
• Automatic functions: They induce you to enter the weight and type of food and then calculate the time required with no human control.
• Quick boost/start: Usually with the press of a single button your oven starts very quickly. But in most of the microwaves, the cooking time rises up in one or half-minute increments when you press the button again.
• Multi-stage cooking: Microwave with this feature can perform multiple functions such as defrost, cook and then leave to stand.
- Baking tools that are a must in every baker’s kitchen
- Awesome Sandwiches That Go Beyond Back-to-School
- Williamsburg Cinemas to open in time for holidays
Some Other Tips
• Since convection cooking heats up the whole inside of the oven, thus it is important that the appliance is insulated to stop the exterior from becoming super-hot. It has been found that the controls, door glass and handle heat up more than the normal microwave oven. These ovens are way more insulated as compare to the small benchtop toaster ovens.
• When you are using an oven, always take care that while removing the cooked food, keep the oven door away from you as it gets very hot in convection mode and may swing back onto your hand. Always use oven gloves and before you clean the interiors let it cool down first.
• If the oven interior is still hot from convection cooking, try not to use microwave-only cookware in it, as it may get damaged due to the heat.
• Make sure that the oven has become cool before you clean it. The side of the convection microwave gets quite hot after the use as compared to the standard microwaves.
• Avoid using caustic cleaners, abrasives or harsh cleaners. Remember not to spray oven cleaners directly onto any part of the oven.
• Use warm soapy water to clean the interiors. And for stubborn residue, you can use a non-scratch scourer.